Date:      Mon, 05 Jan 98 12:04:00 PST
From:      Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
To:        "'perlsta@sunyit.edu'" <perlsta@sunyit.edu>
Cc:        hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: interested in working on windows port (sorry for cross post)

> I'm interested in making a windows 95/NT port of Xfree86,
> i plan on using DirectX to support fast accesses to the graphical
hardware.
[...]

Sorry, but the last time I checked, DirectX was one of those Win32
technologies
that's not fully supported on NT.  That may have changed with a service
release
of somesort for either DirectX or NT.

If you're looking for a free X server for Win32, why not look at the
MicroImages
X server?  I forget where I found it, but it's probably 2 or 3 clicks
away from
Cygnus' UNIX on NT resource page.

>From what I remember, MicroImages had the foresight to write a
multiplatform
GIS package that uses X.  Rather than making a Win32 version, they ported
a simple X server to Windows.  Don't think you can change the window
manager, but (1) it works, (2) it's free and (3) it's functional, if not
fullblown X.

HTH,

 -- Adam.