Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 1995 17:55:26 -0800
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jacs@gnome.co.uk
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: package names

 * I have just noticed that some port names are not being updated when
 * changes are made to patch scripts. For instance xpermon-1.1 was
 * recently changed to work with FreeBSD 2.1. However, the package name
 * was left the same, it would be better to add another level of
 * indexation such as xpermon-1.1a to indicate to users that changes have
 * been made.

This is a very good point, it has been pointed out in the past that
it's not clear when ports are updated.  In fact, if I weren't reading
the commit mails or looking at a cvs update, I wouldn't know at all!

However, I'm not sure how we can add this without potential clashes
with the original versions.  For instance, there ARE xv-3.10a,
Xaw3d-1.2a, etc., on the original master sites...also, letters as `a'
or `b' are often used to mean "alpha" "beta" and such, or small
changes (like in the case of xv and Xaw3d examples).

Another thing is that, it might give the user the false impression
that there exists a new version of the original software, when it was
only a bugfix on the FreeBSD port.  This is not very clear if the user
is looking at a package (or doesn't know how to read the port
Makefile).

Hmm.  Does anyone have an idea on how to include this information
without the above problems?

Satoshi