Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:43:01 -0600 (MDT)
From:      ML Duke <mlduke@concentric.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Idiot on Board

I'm a two year old newbie and feel like an idiot. I've installed 3,
maybe 4, FBSD versions and configured them to work, albiet with help,
and recently made the divorce from mscrash complete and I do _all_
of my real live work in FBSD as in make a living in Unix.

And now, I find myself unable to mount and unmount a floppy file
system, read the contents of a floppy, or get the current 1.44 floppy
disk out of the drive, and I've been reading docs for the past three
hours straight (for the record, this is not a question--it's a rant).

In preparation for loading up a new box with 3.2 and giving this aged
486DX4/100 to my daughter, I did:

#tar cvpf /dev/rfd0 /etc

with a 1.44 floppy in the drive and that worked and took the floppy
out and put a new one in and did:

#tar cvpf /dev/rfd0 /usr/local/etc

and that worked and put in another floppy and did:

#tar cvpf /dev/rfd0 /var/spool /var/db/pkg

and that didn't work and that floppy is now stuck in the drive as in the
eject button works and the floppy comes loose, but will not release
from the drive.

So, should anyone else ever do anything stupid, and forget what you
knew 2 years ago, and find yourself surrounded with endless reams of
documentation and _still_ can't find the answer--find comfort in the
fact that you have some company. (Which I'm fully aware is no help,
at all.)

ML Duke