Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:52:25 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <stest033@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Psion Gold Card modem on Inspiron 7500

The short form of my question is "how do I configure FreeBSD 4.7 stable from
a few days ago so my Psion Gold Card modem will once again work with
my Inspiron 7500?"  It's a common enough combination that I expect someone
will have it already.

The longer version is that I used to have no problem using the modem with
FreeBSD.  I upgraded to 4.7 stable a few weeks ago so I could use
BSD-Airtools, and I thought everything was great until I went on a trip and
tried to use my modem.  When it tried to dial it locked up the system to the
point that I had to power down to recover.  I loaned my spare modem to
someone so I don't know if the problem is specific to this modem or is more
general.

I looked at dmesg and found that the modem was being assigned IRQ 11.
I looked at the dumpcis output and found that the modem doesn't support
IRQ 11.  After a lot of reading, I added hw.pcic.intr_path=1 and
hw.pcic.irq=0 to /boot/loader.conf so I was back to something like the
old pccard behavior.  Rebooted the system and found that now the modem
was being assigned IRQ 3, which is an available IRQ on the system, and
one the modem supports.  Success!  Except that the modem still didn't
work.  Still locks up the system.  Works fine when I boot Windows 98.

With ISA interrupts, the wireless card driver (wi) goes bananas when I
insert the modem (i.e. both cards in the system): watchdog timeout messages,
and a system so unresponsive that it is barely possible to get it to reboot..
With PCI interrupts wi is less annoyed by having another card in the system.

Either way the modem doesn't seem to talk to the system, although there
is some indication that communication is happening because it locks up
the system if I try to get it to dial.  I've used the term mode of ppp, and
tip, in an effort to talk to the modem.

Have I missed something, or is the pccard system in an unstable
state right now?  I've updated the system three times in the past ten days
hoping to improve things (the last one was Saturday night).

Thanks,

- Bob