Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 12:55:40 -0500
From:      Keith Stevenson <k.stevenson@louisville.edu>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd vs. linux and NT chart

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 10:00:48AM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:

> As for the network installs: in many cases,
> you have to FTP the entire Linux distribution
> onto one partition and then install onto
> another. Not exactly user-friendly.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree here.  I've done more RedHat Linux
installs than I care to admit to, and all you need to install it over the
internet is a pair of floppies.  You write the install images on to the
floppies, boot the first one, and then insert the second one to load the
device drivers for most network cards.  After you hand enter your network
configuration and the target FTP URL, the installer goes and installs the
system onto the disks you configured in a prior step.  All in all, the process
is _very_ similar (read that as practically identical) to the process of
installing FreeBSD over a network connection.  My previous experiences have
been with RedHat, but my Linux-user friends tell me that SuSE is very similar.

Actually, I don't think that FreeBSD can keep claiming that its installer is
"more user friendly" than Linux.  I used Linux for a long time before
discovering FreeBSD a year ago.  The Linux installer has come a long way since
the early Slackware distributions.  In fact, the first few times I installed
FreeBSD, I spent a lot of time cursing the installer before I got used to its
quirks.  If anything, I think that both OS's have achieved parity in the
ease of installation category.

Regards,
--Keith Stevenson--

--
Keith Stevenson
System Programmer - Data Center Services - University of Louisville