Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 2004 08:23:26 +0200
From:      Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
To:        Toxa <postfix@sendmail.ru>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AP Scanning

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 12:16:52AM +0400, Toxa wrote:

> Ok, thanks, I have already configured it, ofcource original patch does not
> suite to current defaults/rc.conf, rc.suspend, rc.resume  files but this is
> not problem, sure, it's trivial to correct it according to current
> changes (i'm using -current branch on my laptop). Profiles ("home" and
> "work" :-) are configured by me and I'll drop you a line in day or
> two  to describe my impressions :-)

sweet, i am looking forward to your answer.

i am planning to improve the patch a bit when i get some time (in a month
or two), namely:
1) acpi support
2) better behaviour after a crash
3) a really working suspend in location a and resume in location b

1) will depend on how acpi will work on my thinkpad, i read that it works
   pretty good these days with -current
2) this will be quite simple, make the script execute after fsck in the
   rc.d chain, but it needs testing
3) this i'll plan to do by adding specific SUSPEND tags to all rc.d scripts
   that will tell whether or not the stop/start action should be taken.
   plus i have to figure out how to keep X working after a resume and a
   possible hostname/ip change. maybe i also have to change the hostname
   through sysctl, but this is not related.

all in all, there is still some work to do and i am happy for any feedback.

two things to note:
do not rely on suspend/resume + profile patch to work flawlessly. it does
work quite well if you don't use X, but it is not clean yet. if you want to
use suspend/resume a lot, undo the changes to rc.suspend and rc.resume and
use the profile patch without that funtionality.
and do watch out when your machine should crash! after a crash, boot to
single user mode and fsck manually. crash plus starting up with a profile
is not working correctly yet.

i hope i will find some time soon to enhance this patch.

greets, t.

btw, nice email address :)