Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 17:22:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        Barry Lustig <barry@lustig.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: YP Problems on 2.2.6 Stable

> > I have problems too. I don't think their "fixes" improved stability as
>   What fixes?  Who is "their"?

>From 2.2.6 RELEASE NOTE:
o Various improvements to the NIS code.

Does not say by whom. Man pages not updated since the 1995, so I don't
think "whom" would be listed there. I have searched through the mailing
list archives and not successfully found the maintainer(s) of NIS stuff.

> > they should have. I have my NIS master on a different subnet, so I must
> > use "ypbind -s -ypsetme; ypset <nis_master_host>". I always get an error,
> > but the ypset works no problem! Freakin weird if you ask me.

>   What error?  You can get timeout errors in that config before ypbind
> becomes bound, but that is normal.

No, I means _error messages_. It says, "Sorry, can't ypbind for host foo
on domain bar." But it does! It does delay (like a timeout), and you would
think it didn't work, but it did. Definitely a misfeature.

<foo>% domainname
bar

<foo>% ypwich
(whatever you ypset to works)

>   I use a special ypbind that can find non-local servers.
How? How can you tell it what broadcast addrs to look for if they are not
on your same wire? That would be a nifty addition to the package.

> > I also think the docs are _really_ lacking.
>
>   Docs are pretty good.  I setup NIS for the first time from them two
> years ago.  There are man pages for ypbind, ypserv, and the overall yp
> manpage.

Well, they are admittedly bad. They themselves say to find a version of
Solaris and look at their man pages. I know Theo de Raadt has better
things to do w/ his time these days than support NIS on FreeBSD.

I have asked several questions about how to set up slave servers, and
noone can tell me. The man pages do not reference that at all. If I ever
find out, I will update the docs.

Kevin