Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 1995 11:03:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        hackers list FreeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com
Subject:   re: smfs

{
From: "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
Subject: ksmfs in bsd/sunos kernels...

Linux has ksmfs (a Samba file system...)

I like it, its fairly clever...

Anyone want to point me at something to look at (code preferred)
on how to register a file system in a device driver (I assume
it works almost the same was in SunOS and BSD?)
}

[my reply:]

I've been using the regular samba package for a while now and like it
very much.  The only problem I see is that for each user connected, a new
smbd process gets spawned with a size ranging from 500K to 1meg.  This
limits the number of users I can support.

For this reason, I'm VERY interested in seeing/helping smfs get ported to
FreeBSD.  Are you pursuing this?  Anyone else?  Any way I can help?

later,
---
  Charles Owens					 Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X