Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:03:31 -0400
From:      Patrick Baldwin <Patrick.Baldwin@studsvikscandpower.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [freebsd-questions] Best way to add SSL to Apache 1.3.37

Hi, I'm running 6.2-RELEASE-p4, and Apache 1.3.37.  I'd like to
add SSL support, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about it.

In:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-apache.html

Specifically section 27.7.5.1, it mentions you can add ssl support with
mod_ssl, but I don't see it in my ports tree.

I also found this:
http://www.bsdguides.org/guides/freebsd/webserver/apache_ssl_php_mysql.php

Which seems to suggest that I'd need to have installed the apache
port /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl instead of the package apache-1.3.37_3.

So, do I need to remove the apache-1.3.37_3 package (presumably with
pkg_delete, as I think that's the cleanest way, please correct me if I'm
wrong), and re-install from the apache13-modssl port, or is there in
fact some way to just get mod_ssl and add to my existing Apache
configuration?  If both options are possible, is one better than the
other?  I'd prefer not to have to re-do my apache install, but if
there's some compelling reason I should, I'm interested in knowing it.

Also, when I've got it, I want users to have the option to use it,
not be forced to (tinkering with a Squirrelmail webmail server here), so
any information on that would be more than welcome.

Regards,

--
Patrick Baldwin
Systems Administrator