Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 12:49:51 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley585.res.iastate.edu>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM (Ron G. Minnich), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virtual Interface Architecture

>Ron G. Minnich wrote:
>> > As someone else mentioned, Van Jacobson has gotten the fast path case
>> > down to ~30 instructions for TCP processing on the receive side.  If
>> > we could get around all the complex memory management using something like
>> > above, it should perform fairly well.
>>
>> This has been mentioned, starting ca. 1990. Has anyone seen the code?
>> nowadays when I bring this up people shrug their shoulders in disbelief.
>> Kind of a shame.

Kind of a shame that the code never made it into 4.4BSD as it was intended
to.  Perhaps someone with more of a name than myself in the FreeBSD project
would care to query the good Dr. Jacobson?

For what it is worth, the code in this message assumes quite a bit of
architectural support which we do not currently have.

>the code....its referenced from one of
>	stevens books, if memory serves.  A.....nailed it!
>
>	thank you dejanews.

The message is also available from the following link of the NRG server:

	http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/email/vanj.93sep07.txt

If you are interested in networking, there are also many other things
worth looking at here.  The network architecture which the 30
instruction claim refers to is described in Van Jacobsons talks:

	ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/talks/vj-nkarch.ps.Z,
	ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/talks/vj-nws93-1.ps.Z

It would be really cool to have code for this..

Chris