Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:33:16 -0500
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        lwh@pathcom.com, Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, vns@delta.odessa.ua
Subject:   Re: continuing problems with RealPlayer

On Monday 27 January 2003 04:55 pm, lwh@pathcom.com wrote:
= On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
=
= > Can anyone, please, try the following URL, for example:
= >
= > 	pnm://rm.content.loudeye.com/~ttt-600111/0619060_0103_00_0002.ra

= > It causes RealPlayer8.cs2 to get SIGABRT on two of my -current
= > systems. I must have it working on at least one machine in the
= > house, but before changing the laptop to -stable, I'd like to find
= > out it will work there :-) The other alternative would be to install
= > Windows...

= > FWIW, I tried with both linux_base and linux_base-6 -- same
= > symptoms. There are other URLs on Amazon's Music shopping, that
= > break it, but one is enough, I guess...

I finally got access to a Linux machine and can confirm, that this
URL causes the same crash there. Sorry for the alarm -- this is not a
FreeBSD specific problem... I guess, some new way of generating the
sound files triggers a bug in the latest Linux realplay binary...

Carefull reading of the Real's pages, however, points to the

http://realforum.real.com/cgi-bin/unixplayer/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=announcements&Number=3128&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5

Which I'm going to try tonight.

= I don't know if this is an option for you but mplayer seems to play
= this ok.

Mplayer is a workaround :-) Unfortunately, it is not fully complete yet.
There are numerous issues with GUI, and it can not play the .ram files
(where the URL of the .ra file is written in plain text) -- so it can
not easily be used as a complete replacement.

Yours,

	-mi