Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 23:45:28 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: banner(6)

Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net> types:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Brett Glass wrote:
> > That's called ligature. It's different from kerning in that it actually
> > combines two characters into one. (My late father was a typesetting
> > expert in the days before computer typesetting was common, and constantly
> > had to proofread to catch situations in which ligatures were not
> > substituted for the appropriate character pair.)
> Can anyone give me a link to a "everything you ever wanted to know about
> typesetting on-line"?

How about an on-line link to everything you ever wanted to know about
typesetting?

There's a 2000 edition somewhere, but I haven't been able to find a
copy :-(.

There's a *lot* more going on than just the details of font and
typefaces, though. If you want a more gentle introduction, try the
winner of the award for best title for a book on typography:

	<mike