Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 03:23:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL issues (Was: More important Windows Refund Day

> >If you support the goals of the GNU Manifesto, then I'd argue that
> >the GPL is a poor instrument by which the instrumentality that the
> >GNU Manifesto intends can be realized.
> >
> >A better instrument would be the Cygnus ECOS Public License, since
> >it takes specific notice of patent law and tit-for-tat patent
> >cross-licensing.
> >
> >	http://www.cygnus.com/ecos/license.html
> >

> True, but it also forces disclosure of source code. This is a VERY
> serious issue in an embedded product, since the source code is key
> to differentiation in this market. The licensing essentially gives
> anyone the ability to copy the hard work you put into your product,
> gratis.

I think you have misread the license:

3.7. Larger Works.
      You may create a Larger Work by combining Covered Code with
      other code not governed by the terms of this License and
      distribute the Larger Work as a single product. In such a
      case, You must make sure the requirements of this License
      are fulfilled for the Covered Code.

> Rather a Faustian bargain, I'd say. It's a bad business proposition.

"If you support the goals of the GNU Manifesto..."

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.