Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 03:20:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Stereo RealAudio for FreeBSD!

> MPEG doesnt drop to 28.8...
>
> Im not interested in low bandwidth <128kbps audio transmissions because even
> the best are unnacceptable to me.  I can listen to kissFM finland at ~110kbps
> and listen to perfect stereo CD music thats just incredible.  Im a high quality
> kinda guy :)

I have been trying to find any major negative artifacts using mpeg at 384
and really can't find any (sounds really good.)  I am going to have to
go to serious A/B to find the defects.  Of course, some of your (or someones)
comments about the mpeg process degrading pretty quickly below 128 or so
appears to be true.  However, music is quite recognizable, and would be
tolerable on cheap speakers or in a car perhaps at 96 or so...  Really really
thanks for the pointer to the mpeg stuff, because frankly, I find that the
384 sounds really good, and saves about 4:1 on diskspace, and takes about
1/4 or less of the time of my audio AGC (various processing) playthings...
I would use 160, but I don't want to risk the quality unnecessarily, because
I know that I will soon hear problems there (don't have golden ears, but I
can distinguish things pretty well -- and cr*ppy sound bugs me terribly.)

Also, it appears that 128 would be quite tolerable for casual listening.  Sorry
if this is boring for all you multimedia software experts, but I am a bit
of a newbie in this stuff, finally PC hardware appears to start becoming
really interesting for playing with all the ideas that this frustrated
ex-EE has been having over the years...

John