Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 15:39:23 +0600 (ESD)
From:      "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
To:        abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us (Alex Belits)
Cc:        osa@techsz.msk.ru, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CP866-rus for X ???

> On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Ozz wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> > Do you know anythink about the CP866-russian fonts for X-Win?
>
>   I don't think, such thing is used anywhere. Generally it's considered
> wrong to transfer any Cyrillic text to anything unixlike without
> converting it to koi8.

KOI-8 is a standard fro mail and news exchange. But there exist
several standards of russian encoding itself. Personally I
use KOI-8 for mail and news and CP866 for anything else
(read: work).

I have converted some CP866 fonts from DOS, and some from Cronyx
KOI-8 fonts. The bad news is that Type1 fonts do not allow to
use CP866. It would be not bad to write a builtin encoding
converter for X Server. :-)

-SB