Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 13:01:30 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        dkelly@nebula.tbe.com (David Kelly)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] Multiple Bt848 cards in a PC.

#define quoting(David Kelly)
// Randall Hopper writes:
// [...]
// > Can't speak to which ones.  Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
// > is one of the folks (or "the" folk) that asked for soundcard selectability,
// > so you might buzz him.
//
// I was asking about multiple sound cards in one FreeBSD box on the
// freebsd-multimedia list when your name came up.
//
// Do you know which soundcards work more than one at once in a FreeBSD
// system? Or in any PC system?

First and most important, you MUST use Luigi's driver, pcm, and
avoid voxware.

Using his driver, I think that any combination supported by the
hardware is possible.  In particular, I have a GUS PnP and a SB16
in my home machine:

Probing for PnP devices:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: GRV0001 [0x0100561e] Serial 0xffffffff
mss_attach <GusPnP>1 at 0x348 irq 5 dma 3:7 flags 0x17
pcm1 (GusPnP <GusPnP> sn 0xffffffff) at 0x348 irq 5 drq 3 flags 0x17 id 16
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
sio1: type 16550A
pcm0 at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 flags 0x15 on isa
aha0 at 0x334-0x337 irq 11 drq 6 on isa

My biggest problem was to find a good combination of DRQs and IRQs.
To finally achieve a result, I had to overlap IRQ7 between SB16 and
lpt0.  In FreeBSD, lpt0 is registered without interrupts.  In
DOS/Winblows, I must not play a sound on the SB16 while printing.  :)

// --
// David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@nebula.tbe.com
// Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis            M.Sc. Student
jonny@jonny.eng.br                 Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro