Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 15:29:09 -0600
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CTX Laptop/Neomagic chipset

While searching through the archives trying to figure out why my CTX
200MhzPentium-MMX laptop was hanging during the "probing devices" stage
(I still haven't figured that one out...I've tried both the 2.2.7-PAO
boot floppy and 3.0-RELEASE with the same results) I came across a
thread from August in this group about "flickering" LCD displays if the
laptop uses a Neomagic chipset when the laptop gets warm.  The
assertion was made that there must be something wrong in the X Server
initialization because the flicker doesn't happen in Windoze...

While I can't attest to any bug in X (and didn't follow the thread any
further) I can without reservation state that the flickering *DOES*
happen under Windows NT when it's been on for awhile.  I've been
running NT Server 4.0 for about 6 months (cuz FreeBSD didn't support my
LinkSys EtherFast 10/100 PCMCIA card until (at least 2.2.7-PAO) now).

Please CC any replies to me as I'm not (yet) on this list :)

--
John-David Childs (JC612)	Enterprise Internet Solutions
Systems Administration          @denver.net/internet-coach/@ronan.net