Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 08:17:24 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Clark Gaylord <gaylord@gaylord.async.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd and syslog.conf

> > This isn't a new feature, it's a long-overdue bug fix.
>
> I could only agree if we say in very large, bold letters: TABS ARE
> THE STANDARD, USUAL FORMAT. USE SPACE AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

Oh, puh-leeeze!  This is mountain-out-of-molehill.

BSDI and probably most other unixes accept spaces too.  So I would
argue that tabs are _not_ the standard format.  They are the
historical broken format, which is something quite different.  Also,
any sysadmin who blindly copies a /etc file from one OS to a different
OS deserves what he gets.  Should we also warn users not to rename the
file to SYSLOG.INI and try to use it on their Windows NT machines? ;-)

> No, more seriously, tab-delimited is the usual means of formatting a
> text "database" file

Not in Unix.  Go have a look.  The usual convention is linear
whitespace, which means a sequence of one or more tabs or spaces.

> I don't know that a lot of sysadmins actually try to make sense of
> syslogd.conf,

If by "make sense of" you mean "parse with a program" then I doubt
you'll find very many, if you find even one.

> but in general if you have a fixed number of fields of data that
> require delimiting, tab and colon are the usual delimiters;

Not in Unix.  Whitespace and colon.

> using space begs one to use multiple spaces, and then you run into
> having to consider "[ ]+" or, worse yet " [ ]*", when parsing said
> file.

But multiple tabs are already allowed in syslog.conf.

John