Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 22:33:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "N.B. DelMore" <mylists@inr.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shared File Systems

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, N.B. DelMore wrote:

> I find myself in desperate need to impliment some sort of centralized file
> system (RAID 5) that can be shared by multiple servers, eg. mail, web,
> shell etc.
>
> To that end, we recently implemented a single 200 GB RAID array using
> (forgive me) RH 6, and the DPT SmartRAID V controller (I waited for months
> hoping that FreeBSD support for this controller would appear as promised by
> DPT early last year).  But we probably will convert this to FreeBSD as soon
> as the drivers become available and are proven to be stable.
>
> Currently, its only being used as a mail spool; sendmail and cucipop
> delivering mail to the users 'home' directory (hashed spools), but I would
> really like to begin using it for other purposes as well, e.g. for some of
> our web hosting services.
>
> However, I keep reading about how NFS is not the ideal manner in which to
> impliment this due to a number of reasons.
>
> I'd appreciate some advice from my fellow ISP's.  Am I on the right path or ?

  I think it is important to look at why you want to centralize your data
storage.  You say you are desparate to do it, but why?  Answering that
will go a long way.

  NFS can work.  There is a price to pay though.  Depending on the
applications, there can be locking issues.  Latency is always higher than
local storage (client -> network -> server -> disk as opposed to client ->
disk).  Most ISPs that want centralized NFS, go for a NetApp, which has
specialized hardware to accelerate performance.  NetApp's also have nice
features like online expansion of filesystems, and snapshots.

  You need to plan the clients and servers properly, connected with a good
network.  You mention your server, but not your client(s).  Is your
server a dedicated NFS server, or does it run other stuff?

> Thanks
> Noel

Tom