Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 19:46:00 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
Subject:   Re: mcAffee Anti Virus

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Charles Owens wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Stephen Roome wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Charles Owens wrote:
> > > <snipped some stuff>
> > >
> > > The list price is $200.  I was utterly amazed at how fast it blew through
> > > scanning 700 megs of PC files.
> > >
> > > anyhow...
> >
> > We run 15 Windows 95 machines off a Samba fileserver here which is a
> > P5-133, with FreeBSD 2.1.5 (soon to be upgraded!).
> >
> > I put the Antivirus demo on it and had similar results, it was
> > (obviously?) faster than windows at checking files and it's damn sight
> > cheaper, as I'm sure it's possible to check remote hard drives with one
> > copy of the server software through smbclient.
>
> Hmmm... I thought smbclient was only good for interactive,
> command-line-ftp-like operations.  How would you get uvscan to work over
> the smbclient connection, such as it is?

It depends, if it's not actually capable right now then I'm sure it can
be modified, besides smbtar uses smbclient, and in the event of what your
saying one could use smbtar and then check that for viruses.
(nasty, but would work)

> > I don't know if McAfee ought to find out that you can check hundreds of
> > PC's in this way for the price of 2 copies of the PC software, but I
> > thought some of you out there who might not have done this yet, ought to
> > try it out. (For more than 10PC's to check it's cheaper to buy a 486 with
> > samba to just remotely check them once a day).
> >
> > It's not as secure, but it'll save your business money.
>
> The potential is certainly there.
>
> For no-cost PC virus scanning I use the shareware version of F-Prot (free
> for non-profits, $1 per computer for commecial users).  It's not as pretty
> as the full-blown F-Prot, but it has the same very highly rated virus
> scanning engine.

I'll check this out.

> ---
>   Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
>                                              http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
>   Network & Systems Administrator
>   Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
>   Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
>                                    too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

Steve Roome
Technical Systems Manager, Vision Interactive Ltd.
E: steve@visint.co.uk      M: +44 (0) 976 241 342
T: +44 (0) 117 973 0597    F: +44 (0) 117 923 8522