Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 19:47:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Troy Settle <st@i-plus.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth limiting on Switch.

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> >
> > Ok, ipfw show gives me numbers...  are those packets or bytes?  The man page
> > doesn't say.
>
> both...
>
> > For bandwidth monitoring, I was thinking something more along the lines of
> > being able to access a byte counter via SNMP, ala MRTG.
>
> no snmp support yet, sorry (i have no idea, but maybe snmp daemon can
> be modified to fetch counters through the ipfw ioctl etc ?)

The /usr/ports/net/ucd-snmp can be easily extended to report the output of
ipfw show, by using simple shell script. Take a look at examples in the
config file included in distribution (I think the port fails to install
that file, though...)

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------