Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 01:52:53 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Sujal Patel <smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound Blaster PnP babble

>From The Desk Of Sujal Patel :
> On Sat, 28 Dec 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > :-)
> >
> > BTW, any luck with Sound Blaster PnP lately?  We've had a lot of people
> > asking about it..
>
> The card should work just fine.  There are several things to note though:
>
> 1 - If you have a PnP bios, you don't need to use my PnP driver.  If you
> don't use the driver though, you need to "guess" where the BIOS configured
> your card :-)  There is sample code to read the PnP BIOS's configuration
> in ~smpatel/public_html/pnpget* (I haven't had time to clean this up yet).

I thought that the PnP bios does not activate ISA PnP cards. It does
assigned them a CSN and appropiate resources however the devices will
remain inactive till the OS or program activates them. At any rate,
there are enough bogus PnP bioses floating around that the safest
bet is to depend on the driver for proper PnP initialization and
activation. In fact one of the buggy PnP Bios force me to write
the PnP code in the GUS PnP driver.

As for most people not being able to configure the SB PnP , is probably
to hard form them. I am saying this from my past experience in dealing
with the config issues in the sound driver.

	Regards,
	Amancio