Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2000 22:00:01 -0800
From:      W Gerald Hicks <jhix@mindspring.com>
To:        cracauer@cons.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: empty lists in for

> <nothing> is not a word at all, so it can't be expanded, so I think
> bash is corrent to complain about a syntax error.

Epsilon anyone?

I really don't care (honestly) but a null word can be considered a word too!

In yacc-like terms:

wordlist:
        | wordlist WORD
        ;

It doesn't really matter until one considers perverse abuses of
a shell, such as those embedded in a Makefile somewhere.

FreeBSD's shell (and ksh93) both perform "correctly" IMHO and
wouldn't make the change.  I'm also not likely to declare a
Jihad against such a change either  :-)

It doesn't hurt anything the way it is and represents a better
generalization (IMHO again).

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
jhix@mindspring.com