Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 07:49:16 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>, David Greenman <dg@root.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why no Indians and Arabs?

Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> > This is probably unrepresentitive, since you
> > appear to go out of your way to create controversy
> > to get just such a reaction.
>
> There is nothing controversial about my Web site, and even if there were,
> nobody would know that until _after_ visiting it, so it would not drive
> traffic to the site.

You create controversy onmailing lists for OS's whose default
browsers are going to be unable to render your pages in order
to get hits.  For example, your posts to this mailing list.

> > One thing I find incredibly amusing is that
> > your site uses IE specific tags, and so it won't
> > render correctly on most browsers ...
>
> Really?  Which ones?  Most of the pages validate as correct HTML, at least
> according to the W3C (I periodically check them).
>
> Additionally, they _do_ render correctly on most browsers.  I test with MSIE
> 5.x, Opera 5.x, Netscape 6.x, Netscape 4.x, WebTV, and Lynx, and all except
> Netscape 4.x render pages correctly.  And I don't care about Netscape 4.x,
> because it represents less than 2% of visitors, and it contains so many
> rendering bugs that you must usually choose between coding HTML to render
> correctly in Netscape 4.x, or coding HTML to validate properly and render
> correctly in every other browser, and I normally choose the latter.

Yet, you post things designed to drive controversy, and therefore
(either as an intended effect, or a side effect) drive traffic to
your web site.  And the lists on which you are posting are peopled
by people whose commercial release browser is Netscape 4.x.

Also, pretty clearly: you are unlikely to get repeat "vistors" from
Netscape 4.x users, so that will artificially deflate the number of
such vistors you record (self fulfilling prophecy).

I suggest adding Netscape 4.x, Lynx, and Konquerer to your broswer
test list.

-- Terry