Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 02:13:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        des@flood.ping.uio.no (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        andrews@technologist.com, Doug@gorean.org, bright@wintelcom.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, doconnor@gsoft.com.au, dscheidt@enteract.com
Subject:   Re: dual 400 -> dual 600 worth it?

> > >       Yeah, the new box I'm evaluating has SCA LVD SCSI, and it goes a
> > > lot faster. I'm compiling -Stable and so far -j 6, 8 and 12 have all
> > It _SHOULD_ go faster with SCSI as opposed to (E)IDE/UDMA/etc.
>
> Why, because "Scuzzy" is a cooler name than "Eye-dee-ee"? SCSI has
> higher overhead than IDE, so for a single-disk system (or a two-disk
> system, provided each is on a separate IDE bus), IDE wins (given
> otherwise identical disks, of course).

FWIW, while the IDE specification supports tagged command queues
to allow more than one disk transaction to be outstanding, there
are no IDE drives currently available that support this (IBM has
run some in some labs, but there was no real interest in getting
them out, and I am told the project was scrapped for lack of
controller support on other than lab-based controllers).

This means that for server systems, A SCSI drive with a tagged
command queue depth of 128 (common on a number of IBM drives,
just to keep the vendor the same) can support 128 times as much
concurrency as an IDE drive, everything else about the drive
being equal.

It's constantly amazing to me that the same people who state
that FreeBSD should not go after the desktop and should not
have graphical logins and other destop workstation fluff, are
the same people who claim that IDE is as good as, or better
than, SCSI.

Perhaps for a single user workstation, IDE _is_ better than
SCSI.  All of the benchmarks that claim this are non-concurrent,
after all, just like the one application likely to be running
at a time on a single user workstation.

For heavily loaded servers, howwever, there is absolutely no
comparison: SCSI wins because of concurrency, and latency for
single-user, single-threaded operations be damned.

PS: My SCSI-based, mirrored NOC disk array on my NOC is capable
of handling all of BEST Internet Inc.'s mail for a full month
in just under 48 hours... for in excess of 10,000 transiently
connected servers sending it ETRNs; what's your IDE based NOC
capable of?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---