Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 2020 07:12:30 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is the "better / best " method to multi-boot different OSes natively WITHOUT VirtualBox(es) ?

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 23:08:36 +0000, RW via freebsd-questions wrote:
>On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 18:01:55 +0100
>Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 17:51:04 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> >In my experiences it isn't a myth. The intern HDDs of my PCs did
>> >last for around 2 years, when turning the computer off and on
>> >several times a day and they did last for around 7 years, if the
>> >machine runs more or less 24/7.
>>
>> Btw. almost all of the times drives of both kind of usage failed with
>> a click, click noise, because they were unable to release the heads.
>>

>If the head was stuck then why did it click?  Clicking suggests the
>head moved.
>
>My guess is that it attempted something 3 times and parked after each
>failure.

It's most likely the most occurring breakage of desktop PC hard disk
drives, not just something I accidentally experienced. It's not
literally a click, click noise, it's an endless click, click, click ...
click noise. If you slap the drive, the heads often are release (this
is not just my guess, but it's a guess), but this works just a few times
and even after the heads are released (or whatever else) the drive not
necessarily works without issues and likely just for a few minutes.

This article mentions that the click noise is the most common signal of
a breakage:
https://drivesaversdatarecovery.com/blog/what-causes-hard-drive-clicking/

Ok, if this article should be correct, the issue aren't heads that
can't be released, but "over time, the actuator arm can become worn out
and begin to malfunction, resulting in a hard drive clicking sound".

The article mentions "Physical damage

This is probably the most obvious cause of hard drive damage, so it
deserves to be mentioned. Hard drive clicking can start after the drive
has been dropped, moistened, exposed to fire, subjected to high
magnetic fields and more."

Unlikely many desktop PCs suffer from "been dropped, moistened, exposed
to fire, subjected to high magnetic fields". The highest physical
impact to arms and heads IMO is parking.

Be that as it may. Back to the original topic. Let's assume that
neither parking heads is an issue, nor static electricity. When using a
hot swap drive bay instead of a boot loader, to multi-boot between
several operating systems, the chances are good, that soon or later a
HDD will be dropped.

For a home used desktop PC backups and archiving data done by a hot swap
drive bay and/or drives in external enclosures makes sense. OTOH IMO
it's not a good approach to multi-boot. To avoid physical risks it's
way better to use internal drives, let alone that it's
way more comfortable.

If multi-boot means that the OP just wants to test a few operating
systems or seldom wants to use different operating systems, than a hot
swap drive bay and/or drives in external enclosures and/or even USB
sticks, SD cards etc. make sense. "Really" often used operating systems
are better a part of desktop PC and aren't treat by a games console
cartridge approach.