Date:      Tue, 07 Apr 1998 20:35:40 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jeays, Mike" <JEAYS@statcan.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ATAPI devices - more problems

> I can only get an ATAPI device (CD-ROM or Zip drive) to work if it is the
> only device on an IDE controller.  If I put two ATAPI devices on the same
> controller, "mount" hangs, and causes the entire system to crash if I try a
> second time.

This appears to be a feature of some CDROM-Zip combinations.  I've
both personally and in reports seen Zip and CDROM drives running
happily side-by-side.  It would be fair to say that this highlights
defects in our current ATAPI support.

> I cannot get either ATAPI device to work as a slave to an IDE drive.

Again, I can do both here, on a considerable range of systems, with all
of the IDE and ATAPI devices available to me.

If you are looking for a kludge solution, you might want to try putting
the Zip on another IDE channel, off a Soundblaster card or a
(relatively) cheap PCI IDE adapter.

Sorry we can't offer you more meaningful assistance. 8(