Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2019 02:10:53 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        hw <hw@adminart.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What does it mean to use ports?

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 01:39:21 +0200, hw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so I wanted to see what would happen if I used a port and removed the
> emacs-nox packages and its dependencies.  Then I started installing the
> emacs port.
>
> What is going on here?  It seems as if I need to compile the whole
> system myself now.

That exactly is "using a port". A port is just a description
of sources, tools to use, how to use them, and where to put
the results. What you're seeing is to be expected: The port
you're building (and its dependencies) will be compiled from
sources, unless they're already installed in the correct
version.

> Is there a way to give all the answers to the questions about compile
> options at the beginning?  I don't have time to sit around until the
> next question shows up.

Just use "make config-recursive" before "make" and "make install".
Also see "man 7 ports".

> What if I want to change the compile options?  How do I make it so that
> all the packages asking for me for options will do so again?  I don't
> even remember all the packages that want to be compiled.

Remove the existing configuration ("make rmconfig-recursive"),
clean ("make clean"), then start the build again.

> Can I globally set compile options like -march=native (or whatever the
> equivalent for FreeBSD is)?

The file /etc/make.conf can be used for that. See "man 5 make.conf"
for details.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany