Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2003 16:24:08 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        "Schroeder, Aaron" <Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com>, "'freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: 5305 kernel compile issues with 5.0RC2

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 09:22:24AM -0500, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> BTW, attempting to remove the keyboard controller for a serial machine
> is a silly microptimization.  You'll save a few K of kernel memory, at
> the cost of totally screwing yourself if you ever need to boot the
> machine with a graphics head (like if your terminal server goes bad).

I've learned that it's required to remove them.
It is to force booting the machine with serial.
I already got into this by hosters to plug keyboard and monitor to a
machine for maintenance - damn - hosters should know better.
When the machine finally crashes you really hate them, because you
have been outlocked.
Better remove the VGA card completely so they will always have to ask
before even trying stupid things.

In case the terminalserver goes bad you can still attach a notebook and
later reconnected the serial to the terminal server.
For emergency remote scenarious it also has been proved to connect
a mobile phone by a helping hand.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de