Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 15:11:10 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interesting Serial card: 16bit and 16650[sic]

Warner Losh stands accused of saying:
> I just got handed a Siig CyberPro Dual I/O card.  This is a card that
> has two high speed 16650 Serial ports on it.  Yes, that's right
> 16650.  The card itself is a 16 bit card that has I/O ports at
> COM1..COM8.
>
> It claims to have support for 115200 OR 230400 or 460800 baud.  Well,
> the rates higher than 115200 are reserved to software developers.

*laugh*  Sounds like it has a faster clock onboard and a programmable
divider.  What's the crystal on the card?

> Looking at the card, it also supports most of the IRQ lines.  However,
> the small tab of the card only has IRQ pins, so I'm not sure if it
> decodes 16bit addresses, or can do 16bit data transfers.

The 16650 is still an 8-bit part, so extra databits would be useless.

> Has anybody tried to use this card in their machine???  Did it work?
> Does anybody know what a 16*6*50 is?  How is it different than a 550?

It's a 16550 with bigger (32 byte, IIRC) FIFOs.  I don't know how you'd
go about detecting it - what does the 'sio' probe have to say about it?

Bruce would probably be the authority here.