Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 23:57:24 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>, freebsd-hardware@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cyrix and AMD chips

>> >michaelv@HeadCandy.com (Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com)
>> > AMD chips are awesome.  They will work correctly with every
>> > motherboard that runs correctly with Intel chips.

>Categorically Wrong !
>2 Gigabyte GA-486US came with Intel 486 33MHz, ran error free for years,
>on multiple OSs,  but did not work with 2 pre-tested AMD 486-66
>(npx probe failed on the Gigabyte boards),
>then systems did (& still do) work again with Intel 486-66.

How long ago was this?

I know there were some very early chips that had some sort of FPU bug,
or something similar, that would show up under demanding situations.
But those should have been flushed out of the channel *long* ago.

Otherwise, this is the first case I've heard of this.

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.