Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:56:04 -0500
From:      John Brann <john@brann.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   No response on some https connections through NAT

Hi,

I have the following setup:

   +-----------+     +-----------+     +--------------+    +------------+
 --| DSL Modem |--- ep0 FreeBSD wi0 ---| Access Point |---fxp0  FreeBSD |
   |           |     |  laptop   |     |              |    | workstation|
   +-----------+     +-----------+     +--------------+    +------------+

The laptop serves as a firewall and gateway machine.  The DSL link requires
PPPoE, so the ep0 interface is configured only to carry the PPPoE packets
created by ppp(8). The laptop does nat for the internal network.  The
problem described below occurs with both natd and ppp's own nat.

The laptop runs 4.1-RELEASE, the workstation 4.4-STABLE (of last week).

For the most part the configuration works perfectly.  Up to two other
laptops use the wireless network.  The problem I am outlining occurs with
at least one of them.

ppp.conf file from laptop:

default:
panix:
set device PPPoE:ep0
set mru 1492
set mtu 1492
set authname <my name>
set authkey <my password>
set log Phase tun command
set dial
set login
set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0
add default HISADDR

PROBLEM:

When following certain Web links from the FreeBSD workstation, no page is
received.

The only pages I am able to reproduce this problem with are https pages -
for instance, when trying to log in to Yahoo securely, the page demanding
the Security ID is displayed, but after entering the ID, no further response
is received.

When performing the same web transactions on the laptop, the pages load
normally.

Using the lynx-ssl port shows information on the progress of the page load -
specifically the numerous cookie transactions that precede loading the page.
All these preliminary actions appear to take place properly, it is only the
data load of the page contents that appears to hang.

HYPOTHESIS:

I wonder if this has something to do with window or max segment size?

I am no expert in tcpdump, but I logged the tun0 device on the laptop for
a successful session (from the laptop) and an unsuccessful one (from the
workstation).  The only significant difference in the packets, up to the
point that no more packets passed to the workstation, was the window and
max segment sizes.
[full tcpdumps available on request]:

from laptop:
11:10:47.673435 ip: <my address>.1075 > pp1.vip.scv.yahoo.com.https: \
S 4239492157:4239492157(0) win 16384 <mss 1452,nop,wscale 0,nop,nop,timestamp\
8990504 0> (DF)

From workstation:
11:09:06.698165 ip: <my address>.4723 > pp1.vip.scv.yahoo.com.https: \
S 3795938832:3795938832(0) win 65535 <mss 1460,nop,wscale 1,nop,nop,timestamp\
60657991 0> (DF)

HELP REQUIRED:

Is my hypothesis valid?
If so what can I do?

If not what could be causing the problem?

Please reply directly to me, I'm not subscribed to questions.

Thanks,

John

--
        Unreal City,