Date:      Sat, 01 Mar 2003 23:09:03 +0100
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PATCH: type errors in src-tree

Juli Mallett wrote:
> * De: Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de> [ Data: 2003-03-01 ]
> 	[ Subjecte: Re: PATCH: type errors in src-tree ]
>
>>Sorry for resending (3rd time), but I've found a small typo in the patch
>>of sbin/atm/ilmid/ilmid.c
>

>>-	u_char	**bufp;
>>-	Objid	*objid;
>>+	caddr_t		*bufp;
>>+	Objid		*objid;
>

> I understand (and think "good catch") on a number of other things, and
> bogus type-width assumptions being caught, etc.  But this?  caddr_t
> considered useless.  Maybe you could clarify why you made the changes
> to use caddr_t?

Of course. Very often in ilmid.c the type caddr_t was used, and nearly
the same count of 'const char *'s was used. I've searched the include
files for caddr_t (core address) and found it defined as 'char *', so I
decided to used commonly caddr_t - maybe later I check which of them
could be changed into 'c_caddr_t' for being const. But You can of couse
replace all 'caddr_t' which 'char *'.

> Thanx,
> juli.

Jens