Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:23:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        Jay Bratcher <jayb@netjava.com>, Gary Kline <kline@tera.tera.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free BSD and Windows

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Jay Bratcher wrote:
>
> > Just out of curiosity, has anyone ported (or tried porting) lilo to
> > FreeBSD?  Lilo seems a bit more flexible than booteasy.
>
> Define flexible.  Booteasy has the advantage that it understands the
> filesystem structure, so that you give it the name of a kernel to boot,
> and it does it.  Lilo hardcodes the sectors to load into the boot file,

  That isn't booteasy, that is the standard FreeBSD bootloader.  The
FreeBSD bootloader also support serial consoles.  This and the ability to
boot different kernels, and provide kernel flags really sets us far ahead
of LILO.

  Booteasy is the thing that gives you the F-key menu of which OS to boot.
BTW, I hope you realize that FreeBSD includes an old version of booteasy.
Also, booteasy is only required for dual-boot situations (boot selector).

  LILO is a combination boot selector and boot loader for the kernel.  I
don't care for it.  Mainly because I can't choose a kernel and pass kernel
flags, without re-configuring LILO first.

Tom