Date:      Tue, 09 Apr 2002 16:03:12 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, Greg Pavelcak <gpav@som.umass.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use/Utilize

Tony Finch wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 09:35:35PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > The quoted statement is out of context of the discussion, in
> > which the poster was agreeing with a point I made, not refuting
> > it.
>
> When you repeatedly claim that there is confusion about whether the
> GPL restricts running GPLed code I think it is perfectly in context to
> provide a straightforward quote from the GPL that explicitly says it
> does not restrict such things.

This is not what I am claiming.  I am caliming that it permits
running the code, and it uses misleading language about the
preparation of derivative works.  See:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=878995+0+archive/2002/freebsd-chat/20020407.freebsd-chat

> The whole flamewar about ambiguous use of English is a red herring,
> because the GPL doesn't use the word "utilize", and hardly uses the word
> "use" at all, and not in any cases where this affects the argument.

Greg Pavelcak started this subthread with his posting:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=800904+0+archive/2002/freebsd-chat/20020407.freebsd-chat

Which I believe was a tangent off the "Hold Harmless" thread:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=748900+0+archive/2002/freebsd-chat/20020407.freebsd-chat

...unfortunately, he didn't include an "In-Response-To: <messagesID>"
header, so he may have been replying to Gary Swearington.

-- Terry