Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 17:49:31 -0500
From:      Jerry Dunham <dunham@dunham.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advanced File System on FreeBSD

On Mon, 18 September 2000 at  7:47:48 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Sunday, 17 September 2000 at 12:42:33 -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 September 2000 at 11:37:37 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> >>
> >> Years ago I ran Interactive UNIX System V.3, and I installed the
> >> Norton Utilities for System V (yes, there was such a thing), which
> >> included undelete.  I don't think I ever used it.  I also think that
> >> the main thing stopping an implementation is that the people who could
> >> implement it don't want it.
> >
> > Actually, there is a time when the people who could implement it do
> > want it. That's when they are dealing with lots of newbies, and don't
> > want to be bothered with requests to recover accidently deleted files
> > from backups.
>
> I think you're looking at the "sysadmin for a large UNIX installation"
> scenario here.  Nowadays it's more likely to be "I just deleted all my
> files, how do I get them back?" question, to which the hardened hacker
> replies "read them in from last night's backup".  That's easier than
> writing complicated software.

While I've managed to delete something I should have had on a backup
tape, what I more commonly seem to kill off is something I just wrote
twenty minutes earlier.  I don't know of any backup scheme that helps
in this case.  It sure would be nice for the OS to protect me from my
own stupidity at such times.

> > Doing the script for rm solves that problem, and is much easier.
>
> Well, why don't you do it, then?

If you do, please post it here.  I'd like to consider trying it.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

--
Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD                (512)335-0674 (H)
jdunham@fc.net                                           jerry@dunham.org

           Lottery: A tax on people who are really bad at math