Date:      Thu, 05 May 2005 13:46:54 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <smckay@internode.on.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        Stephen McKay <smckay@internode.on.net>
Subject:   Re: bragging rights

On Thursday, 5th May 2005, Chuck Robey wrote:

>Stephen McKay wrote:
>> Personally, I would have mirrored the data disks instead of striping them.
>> Much slower, yes, but I'm tired of losing data when disks die.  Even if
>> you have recent backups they are never recent enough to restore everything.
>
>And I'm fairly certain that you're right on this.  I'm too busy right
>this minute to give the project enough research to get it right ... I
>have two disks, each 145G, and which I wouldn't mind giving up up to 1/3
>of the space, if I could, to reliability, I really want the speed, and I
>would NOT give up the entire disk, I don't need that sort of reliabilty,
>I just don't.  So, would you mind tellme, what do you think I ought to do?

Hmm.  If you split each disk at the 1/3 point and mirror 2/3 of each disk,
you end up with 66% of the disk space usable: 33% striped, 33% mirrored and
33% wasted (in the mirror).  In your case, you would have about 96GB
of fast disk, and about 96GB of "safe" disk, instead of your current
290GB of fast disk.  It would be up to you to determine what goes in
the "safe" partition and what goes in "fast" partition.

Is that what you were asking for?  I started with something like this
and pretty quickly decided I needed "safe" more than "fast", everywhere.

Maybe if you split them in half instead (resulting in 50% striped, 25%
mirrored and 25% wasted) you'll find that you don't need so much speed
and space after all and can then easily mirror the other half later,
resulting in two equal sized mirrors.

Stephen.