Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:43:18 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Trent Waddington" <s337240@student.uq.edu.au>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Stallman stalls again

I've read this statement 6 times putting myself into the most convoluted
frame of mind possible and I still can't understand how this undermines
the goals of GPL, even if people start doing what Stallman says they can do.

Java's just another tool, nowhere near as popular as C.  It's getting close
to peaking anyway, in 10 years it's going to be in just another of those
cubbyholes that Perl, Sed, Awk, PHP, HTML and all the rest of them are in.

Your never going to see anything come along and dislodge C and C++ from
their
positions, just as your never going to see a special-purpose PC (like a
webTV box or a Sony Playstation) dislodge the general purpose desktop PC.
After all, everyone with a toolbox has a set of screwdrivers, but not
everyone
with a toolbox has a 1/2 inch pipe threader.

Could someone explain Stallman's logic here?