Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:34:24 -0600
From:      Mark Kane <mark@mkproductions.org>
To:        eoghan <freebsd@redry.net>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: getting sound

--------------enig1B0A86F82EA1A322A23C175B

eoghan wrote:
> Hello
> I have followed the manual page here for sound setup:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound- setup.html
> Im using freebsd 6.0 with generic kernel.  Im not sure what sound  card
> came with my dell (its 3 years old).
> So i did:
> #kldload snd_emu10k1
> #kldload snd_driver
> then:
> #cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371-B> at io 0xec40 irq 11 kld snd_es137x(1p/1r/0v
> channels duplex default)
> This is my first time trying to get the sound working. I try play an
> mp3 ans dont hear anything. Perhaps using the snd_driver wont work in
> my case...
> Is there a way to get freeBSD to show my sound device so I can load  the
> correct module? Or is there something else im doing wrong?
> Thanks
> Eoghan

It looks to me like the "snd_driver" did it (since it shows "snd_es127x"
 loaded), but if you still are not getting any sound then check some
things.

1) The parts list you pasted seems like it's the Creative CT5807 sound
card. I don't see that particular model on the hardware supported list,
although similar models are listed under that driver (man snd_es137x).

2) Check the volume. Type "mixer" at a shell and make sure the levels
are up. The manpage for "mixer" should tell you how to change those
settings if you need to.

3) Are you running KDE or artsd? On one of my machines that I set sound
up on a long time ago everything was going fine (no errors, sndstat
showed it, etc) but KDE's artsd interfered with the volume when KDE was
on. So if you are in KDE then I'd say to stop the GUI and go to the
console where artsd won't be running and then do your testing. You can
also disable artsd but I'm not sure where as it's been a while since
I've used KDE.

4) Are your speakers/headphones/mixer volumes up?

-Mark

--
GnuPG Public Key:
http://www.mkproductions.org/mk_pubkey.asc

Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com
Rock 101.9 The Edge (Rock) - http://www.rock1019.net

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)