Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2018 15:13:23 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn@stonehenge.com>
Subject:   Re: any problem going from 9.x (don't laugh) to 11 directly?

<merlyn@stonehenge.com> wrote:
>=20
>=20
> Never got a chance to move to 10 in time.  Should I just skip 10 and =
go
> to 11?  What will that break?  And keep in mind I'm ZFS-on-Root,
> although I haven't upgraded my bootloader or ZFS version yet.

I don't use zfs, but I have made that update on a number of systems.  =
There can be issues depending on the specific 9.x and if you use =
freebsd-update or build from source.  FreeBSD 9.1 cannot use =
freebsd-update to go directly to 11.x.  There are patches required to =
freebsd-update to be able to make that work.  The patch should be in the =
archive.  I no longer have any 9.x systems and don't recall if I still =
have it.  If you going that way, let me know and I will search for it.

During the upgrade process when you first reboot, you really need to =
boot in single user mode.  I have always done a regular boot as the =
machines were not local and had no access to the console.  There are =
enough library changes that most services just will not start properly =
and tend to hang.  You are left with a system that is non-responsive.  =
The one approach I used successfully one time was to comment virtually =
everything other than sshd out in rc.conf.  You have to make sure you =
have really killed sendmail though.  Setting it to NO is not enough.  =
Otherwise it will eventually give up and give you back service, but it =
takes a long time.

-- Doug