Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 21:25:52 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: *tetris* files removed from cvs repository...

Doug Russel writes:

> On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, A. Karl Heller wrote:
>
> > >    Well, if you understood what a trademark was, then you wouldn't be saying
> > > that. That "xtetris" implies or indicates the qualities of the "tetris" game
> > > by using the word in the name is plenty enough for it to be a violation of
> > > the trademark.
> >
> >  I guess I better not install any "Windows" in my house then.
> >
> >  *grin*
>
> :)
>
> I trademark only applies to the particular good(s) and/or service(s)
> registered.  If I pop into my handy-dandy trademark database, (the US in
> this example) there are 234 hits on "windows".  Here's the register page
> for the one we are probably interested in follows.  Note the section
> "GOODS/SERVICES".
>
> --- CUT ---
>
>  MARK               : MICROSOFT WINDOWS
>
>  STATUS TEXT        : REGISTERED
[snip]

Notice its "Microsoft Windows" that is trademarked. A judge ruled they
couldn't tradmark simply "Windows".

Trademark law isn't like copyright or patent law. A big bully can
wrestle your trademark away from you simply by applying it to a larger
audience while you were not watching. Registered or not, a trademark
is not automatically national or international. You actually have to
use it and defend it to keep it.

Rename the port with two xx's in it and hear from Exxon's lawyers.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net