Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:56:52 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Branching www/ for XML development

--l4+/aJnPlhOv5JVj

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 10:47:58AM +0900, Jun Kuriyama wrote:
> > Page layout
> > -----------
>=20
> Is this toppage layout, or standard template for each pages?

Standard template.
=20
> If this is standard template, I think we should talk about whether we
> need left/right navigation.  IMHO these navigations narrow body area
> and reduce readability of contents.

The flip side of that is the argument that people find it easier to read
text in narrower columns, because then their eyes don't have to flick
back as far to the start of the next line.

I've put up some test .html files at

   http://people.freebsd.org/~nik/xml-test/

index.html works, as will the links on the left hand side to "Project
News" and "FreeBSD Press".  Everything else is unlikely to work.
There's no footer on any of the pages.  There are all sorts of other
problems.  But it does show the look-and-feel on pages other than the
index page.

> > Page description language
> > -------------------------
> >=20
> > To enforce the style guidelines, don't let authors write a complete HTML
> > page.  Instead, give them a cut-down markup language suitable for what =
they
> > need to do, allowing us to enforce the look and feel.
>=20
> Do you think we can enforce our style guidelines to writers? =20

I think we have to.  Looking over the existing site we have a mish-mash
of different styles on different pages.

> Defining
> new schema may be overkill.  My suggestion is using XHTML as base
> schema and adding extentions for our local use.

I'm a bit fuzzy on how that would work.  Basically, I'd like authors to
have control over two areas of the page:

  1.  The 'body copy'.

  2.  The selection of sidebars that appear on the right hand side.

Everything else should be invisible to them.  How would we do that using
just XHTML?

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--l4+/aJnPlhOv5JVj

--l4+/aJnPlhOv5JVj--