Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 22:37:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Paolo Di Francesco <paipai@tin.it>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Ultra] Compiler, again

On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Saturday, 28 November 1998 at  2:24:27 +0000, Paolo Di Francesco wrote:
> > Alfred Perlstein wrote (I think):
> >> I'm also wondering about doing a build under sparc (via solaris 7) but i
> >> don't think this is viable, do you think that using UltraP for a compiler
> >> platform is a bad idea?
> >
> > I don't know if we can use (or someone is using) a crosscompiler. So if we have
> > no crosscompiler (possibly under i386) I think that is the _only_ way to build
> > a kernel. But you have to use Solaris/UltraSparc and compile on it.
>
> Using a cross-compiler is easy.  How are you going to run the kernel
> if you don't have the hardware?

I'm considering setting up a cvs server for the sparc port, it seems the
croud that has gathered (Eivind and yourself excluded, myself included :)
) don't exactly qualify for commit access to the main tree.

I will be agressively testing code if any is done, meaning although it
stinks, a sort of "batch process" of testing is possible and i will try to
have minimal turnaround of one day for new code that is tested (although i
work full time, i think i can do this)

I think the people at my workplace won't mind me setting up a server to do
this, however i will have to ask for permission.

This means that freebsd-sparc will be a version freeze as of a few days
from now if i can get this server up.  Hopefully if anything comes of this
a merge back into -current won't be too painful.

-Alfred