Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2019 16:53:56 +0000
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD updating experience

--XRwESHC7KXlqFpSs

Hi,

FreeBSD has been my desktop since 1998-ish. Until a few years ago, I always
installed via ports and tailored some port installs with make config. Now I=
=20
use poudriere to build ports on another machine, and download packages from
there. It's still building via ports, just on another machine.

In all that time, I've only ever used the repos to get a basic system up an=
d=20
running, and not depend on them for updating. Too many variables for a
one-size-fits-all system to get right in my opinion. One of my fears is sys=
tem
or port settings getting overwritten when updating. So, beforehand I'd set =
the
system up with portmaster to maintain the ports. Nowadays, I make a poudrie=
re
instance on the build server and point pkg on the client to there.

=46rom your writing, it seems that some user or system settings got clobber=
ed.
If a config file has been modified though, IMO it shouldn't get overwritten
without user intervention. My config files for ports very rarely get clobbe=
red.=20
It has happened in the past though, but thats the fault of the port and not=
=20
FreeBSD itself isn't it?=20

--=20
J.