Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 20:00:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com.demon.co.uk>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha PC

On 5 Feb 1999, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Don <don@calis.BlackSun.org> wrote:
>
> > FreeBSD does not yet support booting from AlphaBIOS.
> > The FreeBSD Alpha team is working on a solution for this problem
>
> Is it? Everything I've seen mentioned here so far has been very
> tentative. I'm in the process of acquiring an Alpha. However, that's
> going to be a Samsung 164UX board, so I'll initially be forced to run
> Linux. Whom should I contact, if I ever decide that it might be within
> my abilities to contribute something?

Yes it is.  The current status is that we can build a version of the
FreeBSD kernel loader which runs under ARC and can load kernels from UFS
filesystems.  Thats the easy part.  Next will be setting up the kernel's
runtime environment (palcode, HWRPB) and attempting to actually run a
kernel.

Unfortunately, we haven't had much success so far in running anything at
all on the Samsung 164UX.  So far, not even linload.exe will run on
Stefan's board which doesn't seem right :-(.

I'll make an announcement here when there is something worth announcing
:-).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com