Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2019 08:21:09 +0100
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
Cc:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can I recreate my .snap directories ?

On 25/06/2019 06:12, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 19:34:48 -0700, Michael Sierchio wrote:
>> There will be one per filesystem, provided those filesystems support
>> snapshots.
>>
>> If you see only /.snap, you have one big filesystem. That's okay for toy
>> systems, or laptops, but you really want separate filesystems for /var,
>> /tmp (which may be a tmpfs), and /usr.
>
> Is this still the case?
>
> Don't get me wrong - I've always been a fan of functional partitioning,
> especially to stop misbehaving processes to mess up the whole system
> ("disk full, can't even write error log") as well as using features
> such as noexec on "untrusted user filesystems". With ZFS of course,
> this is all a lot easier, but with UFS, do people still use functional
> partitioning instead of "putting everything into one big / because
> that's how you do it today"?

I mostly use ZFS these days, but when using UFS I still use functional
partitioning. This may just be inertia and habit on my part as I started
using Unix back on the 6th Edition when disk sizes made it such
partitioning necessary, but I tend to prefer /tmp and /var to be
separate from /, even if /usr isn't.

--
What do we want?
A time machine!