Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 00:50:55 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        Justin Clift <vapour@digitaldistribution.com>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, kpielorz@tdx.co.uk
Subject:   Re: *very* important addition to the installation instructions

On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 03:37:22PM +0200, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 07:23:50PM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> > Hiyas,
> >
> > I've had a significant amount of trouble installing FreeBSD onto an old 486
> > system I'm had hanging around for ages.  Finally though, I solved the
> > problem, and found out what caused it.
> >
> > I think this problem is common enough to warrant inserting this additional
> > one-sentence entry into the installation instructions...
> >
> > "If you have to boot with '-c' on a first time install, DO NOT remove the
> > Syscon Console Driver even if it displays as a conflict.  This will leave
> > you with a blank screen and no installation."
>
> This problem has been resolved by at least allowing the console driver
> to conflict;

But... the conflict is what causes some people to remove it.

> I don't remember if we also marked it non-removable.

I hope not.

> Better tech instead of better docs for this case - people don't always
> read docs, so if it can be resolved technically, so much the better :-)

Fortunately we do not all hold the same views or we would have no docs
and more technical fixes than users know how to use :-)

Here's my doc fix which should withstand various technical fixes.

In install.html under the heading "If something goes wrong..." the
third paragraph currently reads:

  It is also possible that a probe for a device not present will cause
  a later probe for another device that is present to fail. In that case,
  the probes for the conflicting driver(s) should be disabled.

Add another sentence, to become:

  It is also possible that a probe for a device not present will cause
  a later probe for another device that is present to fail. In that case,
  the probes for the conflicting driver(s) should be disabled. Do not
  disable any device you will need during installation, such as your
  screen (sc0).

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-