Date:      Mon, 05 May 1997 09:57:59 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Spock <spock@aheffner.netnet.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Probing Hardware

Spock wrote:

> I would like to install my cd-rom drive and my sound card,
> but i don't know the irq, drq, i/o addresses of them. I
> have win95 running on my first drive, but i went to the
> device manager in win95 and wrote down the irq,drq, i/o
> addresses that it said the hardware was at, but when
> i boot with "-c" and go into visual, and use those
> numbers, freebsd still can't find the devices. I've
> tried using all possible different combinations, but
> it still won't find the hardware. Is there any way
> to easily find out the addresses of the hardware, or
> have it probe all addresses or something, until it finds
> the devices?
>
> Thanx,
>
> Michael Heffner
> aheffner@lakefield.net

If your CDROM has an IDE interface, don't connect it to the SoundBlaster
but rather to one of the main EIDE controllers, either as the slave on
the primary controller, or as the master on the secondary controller. If
that is the case, also make sure you have the lines

option	ATAPI
device	wcd0

in your kernel config file, and that the device wcd0c exists in /dev.

Nadav