Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:39:37 +0530
From:      "\"\"A. Joseph Koshy\"\"" <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   MIDI output

Howdy all,

I'm facing some weird problems getting MIDI to work properly using my
home FreeBSD box.

I'm using an Aztech SoundBlaster Pro clone card, with claimed support for
Adlib/SB-Pro/MPU401 emulation.

FreeBSD 2.2-RELENG, somewhere around the time 3.0/2.2 split was done
(yes I know I should upgrade ...)

(a) Unless I boot into Windoze first (erk) the sound driver doesn't
    recognize the card.  Looks like some intialization is missing
    somewhere :(.  Is there any information on getting Aztech clones
    to work properly?

(b) When connecting a synth to the external MIDI port I've seen lossage
    of notes and small timing problems esp. when there are lot of MIDI
    events flowing down the wire.

    I'm using the MPU401 driver to drive the external MIDI.  Anyone seen
    this kind of problem before?  The external device is a Yamaha PSR400.

(c) I tried playing my keyboard and the sound card's audio output
    simultaneously, and found to my surprise that the two were out of
    tune (using playmidi 2.3).

    The resultant cacophony rivalled the bands you hear in B-grade
    Delhi restaurants.

    Has anyone seen this problem before?  Getting the synth manually in
    tune is a pain; any workarounds from FreeBSD?

Thanks for your advice,
Koshy 						My Personal Opinions Only.