Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 2009 22:25:30 -0400
From:      L Campbell <llc2w@virginia.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lighttpd wedged and ignoring SIGKILL

As a fore-note, I'm not subscribed to this list, so please CC me :)

I was just tweaking a php.ini file and restarted Lighttpd (via rc.d).
The rc script was taking forever to stop it (was waiting for the
process to terminate). After a couple minutes, I got impatient and
killed the rc script with ^C and issued a `killall -9 lighttpd`.

Much to my surprise, this didn't have any effect (and neither did kill
-9 with the PID). top showed lighttpd with the unchanging

PID   USERNAME THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
85542 www        1  51    0   102M 85360K CPU6   6  16:34 100.00% lighttpd

Basically, wedged on CPU6.

root@tomoyo> uname -a
FreeBSD tomoyo 7.1-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p5 #0: Mon Apr 27
16:58:17 UTC 2009
bsdadmin@tomoyo:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/TOMOYO  amd64

Using SMP and SCHED_ULE.

I "resolved" the issue by rebooting the machine.

I guess my questions are twofold:

1) Should this be possible? What is going on here?
2) If this happens again, how should it be resolved? What diagnostics
can I run to further diagnose the problem?

Thanks a bunch for any help (and don't forget to CC me!)